Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Singing in the Bathroom

Earlier this week, on her daytime talk show, Ellen Degeneres announced her 'Singing in the Bathroom' contest. She had discovered a couple of young, beautiful women on youtube who sing pop songs in their bathroom and then post the performances.
(you can see their Ellen bathroom performance:
http://www.youtube.com/)
Since then, Ellen has sung in the bathroom with several of her recording artist guests. The prize for this contest is a trip to Hollywood to sing in the bathroom with Ellen.

When she made her announcement I immediately thought about the first time I discovered the art of singing in the bathroom. I was in 4th grade and had been given a solo in the chorus concert at school. I practiced and practiced that song. I'm certain that it sounded better in our downstairs bathroom than anywhere else.
I just had to submit an audition, so I asked my friend Patti to help. This is our video. It is a recreation of me singing that then-contemporary song. Patti sings the chorus part. (no, the chorus was never in my bathroom, but...)

When I hear it now, the song, "One Tin Soldier" seems so serious for a 4th grader. At the time, I'm pretty sure I didn't pay any attention to what I was singing, just that I got to sing a solo.

Hello Ellen, here we come!

Be good,
Scott

No comments: