Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Art is Personal

I have been working on an interior design project. My friends Nancy and Mike have moved from Boulder to Seattle. They have rented a house and have hired me to help them make it a home. At this point, the furniture is chosen and situated. The rugs, pillows and accessories are carefully placed. All that remains is the art. Nancy really (really) wanted to create art. Though Nancy is a highly creative, beautiful dancer/choreographer the visual arts are still fairly uncharted territory for her.
We began with a trip to the art store where we purchased two canvases. In this case they were 30"x40" each. Then we hit three different paint stores. The goal was to see what was available in the mis-tinted section. It was fantastic, when, at the first store we found 5 different gallons of paint with colors that would work for us. At $3 each it was truly a steal. We rounded out our color palette by having 2 more colors mixed in the quart size. With seven colors, I felt we were ready to procede.
After laying the canvases on a drop cloth, I had Nancy do several quick sketches for me. These were no-thought-initial-reaction drawings. I gave her a word and she drew. I chose words that I knew were important for Nancy and Mike and their home. "Calm.... happy.... life..... growth... love.... celebration... connection.... " She drew and drew and drew.
I took her simple drawings and painted them (much larger) onto the canvases as an outline in the darkest color we had, which happened to be a blue.
It was then her turn to fill in the outlines, very much like in a coloring book. I gave a little direction in color placement, blending and balance, but mostly it was Nancy and her unbridled willingness.
While the paintings dried, I painted a white rectangle on the dining room wall to frame our bold art piece.I think it turned out beautifully. What I loved most about it was Nancy's reaction. She was almost beside herself with how much fun she had had and how lovely the painting is. "That was such a high. It's so beautiful." she told me (again and again and again).
This piece of art is very personal. Not only did she play a part in creating it, but it holds hopes and dreams and ideals in her own expression. Art is personal.
Be good,
Scott

No comments: