Monday, September 28, 2009

The Autumn Leaves

This past weekend we celebrated Homecoming Sunday at my church, the Magnolia UCC. It was a chance for anyone who has ever had any connection to the church to come together and connect, and in some cases reconnect.

I wanted to create something celebratory in the sanctuary. I knew that the service would be focused on the 'great cloud of witness' from the reading in Hebrews. But, I also wanted to highlight community and autumn. Recently, a tree that had shaded the stained-glass windows in the front of the church had been removed.
This meant that they would have a stronger impact then they had been having in the space. I wanted to respect that, too.

I was inspired by a banner that read "I am the vine, you are the branches".

I used 8" ribbon segments and tied them around a couple of pear tree branches to represent the leaves - and the members of the community.

The colors were dictated by the stained glass windows. I graduated the color of the ribbons, starting with red at the tips of the branches moving to orange, yellow, chartreuse and ending with green at the base. This echoes the changing leaves of the trees outside.

The 'falling' leaves are taped to the wall as well as hanging from wire from the branches to add another dimension. They represent the "great cloud of witnesses", those members that have gone before us.

The effect of these branches ended up being very simple visually and, yet, they were able to embrace all of the concepts I had set forth.

I like this idea so much I think I will do something at home like this. It can be done in colors to match any room or occasion. It could be interesting to do a branch all in black or purple for Halloween. Or all white or silver for Christmas or winter. Be inspired, be good,
Scott

No comments: