Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter Lilies


The white lily has been a symbol for Easter since the Middle Ages.
I would imagine it is a rare Christian church that does not decorate with
Easter lilies on Easter Sunday.

In the past, we have had lilies near and on our altar table.
This year I wanted to use the Easter lily as a more integral part of the congregations experience. Initially, I thought about hanging potted lilies along the sanctuary arches over the congregation. However this brought its own set of problems -
how to hang them, maintain them, and give them attractive pots
(the metallic-sheet covered plastic pots are not so pretty).
I also felt that they weren't going to have the effect I was hoping for, close but not quite.

I wanted more drama.

Then it hit me. I wanted each flower to be big, really big. I set about designing 3-foot high Easter Lilies. Working with paper I cut and glued, painted and stapled, folded and sewed, tore and taped. After a few prototypes I ended up with something resembling a kirigami design.
(origami with cutting)

Each lily is one piece of paper cut and folded, then secured with hidden tape and staples. Though labor intensive for my team of 4 the result was fresh and new and Easter-y.

The best comment I heard was "I am convinced that I could actually smell them."

Happy Easter!
Be good,
Scott

No comments: