Monday, October 6, 2008

Expanding my Repetoire

I am spending time at my family’s cabin in northern Wisconsin. It is a quiet, secluded, pretty little spot on the far end of a lake called Potato (we all wonder why).
Over the weekend my entire family gathered for my father’s 70th birthday. This little cabin was bursting at the seams with people and dogs. There is something so complete and so warm about having that kind of gathering. My family does this about once a year. We like each other and get along very well. I think at some point we all silently decided to focus the things that bind us and agreed to respect our differences.
Since I see my siblings and nieces and nephews only once a year, I tried to come up with something that I could do or give as a connection point. I decided that my art for the weekend was temporary tattoos. I packed a set of permanent markers and went about offering one-of-a-kind-at-your-request-tattoos. It was fun for me to sit with each of them and draw the image of their choice. It was a personal interaction requiring little words.
My hope is that, especially for my nieces and nephews, it is something they can fondly remember.
I don’t think that I am going to venture into true tattoo artistry, though it was suggested.
For now, I’ll keep it as “Remember when Uncle Scott …”

Make your own 'tattoos'. Use a set of permanent markers, the multi-color fine point set. With the black marker outline the desired design and then color it in as you would a coloring book. It's that easy. And remember kids, it would be a good idea to get permission before jumping into this project. Have fun.

Be good,
Scott

No comments: