Sunday, October 19, 2008

Somewhere Over a Rainbow

Cathy, The Pastor of my church left to move to Montana.

When I was presented with the opportunity to create a festive yet meaningful setting for the Godspeed service I began by asking Cathy "Which of the past settings have you liked?" There had been many over the years. She recalled the large floral arrangements that another church member creates. She also mentioned some banners I had painted and several large creations - from fabric rivers to greenery jungles. Then, as if it were a footnote *"I like rainbows" she casually threw out to me.
I knew then that a large (it needed to make a statement) rainbow of some kind needed to fill the space. I initially thought I would paint a rainbow on a fabric banner. It was a fine idea, but I wanted something that wouldn't completely hide the beautiful stained-glass window at the front of the church. I also wanted something that would have more interest. So, I put it into the mix of 'things waiting for inspiration'.
I'm not sure when it hit me, I think when I was running one day. I would create a ribbon rainbow. By using various shades and sizes of ribbon I would hang them from red to orange to yellow to green to blue to purple.
The final banner ended up being about 7 feet wide by 16 feet tall. The ribbons hang over a pole and are taped to stay in place. The part of the ribbons that hang in front I cut in a large arch to represent the bow. It had a much greater impact than even I had imagined. It did end up being festive and meaningful.

No comments: